Monday, May 6, 2013

Adventure in Canning

K and I have put on our canning outfits and lately have learned a lot about it everything from preserving foods and stretching us to try new things. What an adventure it has become and now that we have joined Bountiful Baskets, we have really cranked it up. Granted I do keep a stockpile though like I have said before I only shopped 6mo out of the year and rest of time just for bare necessities though right now everything is pretty much depleted so we need to get everything restocked. I do have to admit I had a sticker shock when I went to get canned goods even with coupons, my goodness deals are far and few. So what I did to off set this unless I really find a hot deal was to break down and buy a pressure cooker though in the mean time until it gets here. I started canning what I could with just a water bath and Oh boy have we been having a blast doing it.
Here is some of our Wonderful items we have done so far.....
Cuties 8 1/2 pints & 7 pints
Pineapple 6 pints

Then today I canned Fruit Cocktail from items that I found in my freezer and items I had fresh.
1-bag of peaches
1-bag of strawberries
1lb of grapes
2 pears
1 pineapple
for the syrup 3c sugar to 6cup of water
Water bath for 25min.
5 pints of fruit cocktail


Stay tuned to find out what we else we will be doing.